Contact
Living Here History

The first settlers arrived to the area arrived from the Ukraine in August 1896.  The first settlement numbered 26 families who took up land in Township 2 Range 6.  These first families were followed by other groups from the Ukraine in the following months of 1896, and in the following years their settlement expanded eastward and northward, so that by the end of 1900 the number of settlers was estimated at 3000.  The current population of the municipality is 1648.

In 1897 the first Ukrainian Orthodox Church was built in the vicinity of Gardenton and construction of the first Ukrainian Catholic Church was started in 1899 and completed in 1902 in the vicinity of Stuartburn.

The Rural Municipality of Stuartburn was organized on January 15,1902, disorganized in 1928, became the LGD of Stuartburn on January 1, 1945 and then was reorganized to the Rural Municipality of Stuartburn on January 1, 1997.